Who We Are:
ECCO was launched in April 2006, in response to widespread community concern over the environment, and at a time when the city of Orange was experiencing significant residential expansion and commercial development. ECCO has subsequently embarked on a broad program of environmental education, awareness and activism in the Orange community, with an increasing emphasis on climate action initiatives through its sub-group, Orange Climate Action Now (OCAN).
• to act as an environmental watchdog and a peak environmental lobby group for the community of Orange
• to create awareness of environmental issues affecting Orange and its surrounding area
• to facilitate cooperation and exchange of information and resources between existing conservation, landcare and similar groups
• to liaise with regional, state and national environment and conservation bodies
• to influence and assist Orange City Council with respect to its environmental and sustainability policies and plans
• to be an independent advocate for the environment, and sustainable development in Orange.
How We Work:
ECCO achieves these aims with regular committee and general meetings, public forums with guest speakers, media releases, on-site inspections, consultations and submissions.
ECCO is responsible for the Earth First column which appears each Saturday morning in the Central Western Daily and has regular segments on the local community radio station, FM107.5. ECCO is significantly involved in the annual Sustainability Living Week, Clean Up Australia Day, Planet Ark National Tree Day, and supports the ELF Community Garden Group.
As a local peak body, ECCO works closely with other community organisations that work for better environmental outcomes such as Futuring Orange and the Ploughmans Wetland Care Group.