ECCO is the Environmentally Concerned Citizens of Orange. We are an environmental watchdog and a peak environmental lobby group for the community of Orange.
Who we are:
ECCO was launched in April 2006, in response to widespread community concern over the environment, and at a time when the city of Orange was experiencing significant residential expansion and commercial development. ECCO has subsequently embarked on a broad program of environmental education, awareness and activism in the Orange community, with an increasing emphasis on climate action initiatives through its sub-group, Orange Climate Action Now (OCAN).
• to act as an environmental watchdog and a peak environmental lobby group for the community of Orange
• to create awareness of environmental issues affecting Orange and its surrounding area
• to facilitate cooperation and exchange of information and resources between existing conservation, landcare and similar groups
• to liaise with regional, state and national environment and conservation bodies
• to influence and assist Orange City Council with respect to its environmental and sustainability policies and plans
• to be an independent advocate for the environment, and sustainable development in Orange.
How we work:
ECCO achieves these aims with regular committee and general meetings, public forums with guest speakers, media releases, on-site inspections, consultations and submissions.
ECCO is responsible for the Earth First column which appears each Saturday morning in the Central Western Daily and has regular segments on the local community radio station, FM107.5. ECCO is significantly involved in the annual Rotary Sustainability Expo, World Environment Day, Clean Up Australia Day, Planet Ark National Tree Day and Bike Week, and supports the ELF Community Garden Group and the Glenroi Heights School Kitchen Garden.
As a local peak body, ECCO works closely with other community organisations that work for better environmental outcomes such as Futuring Orange and the Ploughmans Wetland Care Group.
How to get involved:
ECCO Meetings are held on the 4th Wednesday of each month, usually at the Environmental Learning Facility (ELF), Orange Showground, Leeds Parade, Orange commencing at 7.30pm. To receive notifications of these meetings or to request an ECCO membership form, send an email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone one of the Executive on the numbers listed on the Contact Us page.